Working at Ketcha Outdoors is a fun and rewarding job, please check out the available positions listed below!
We look for amazing candidates passionate about the work we do with youth families and the outdoors, and we have a variety of positions open throughout the year.
Please mail or email all applications to Liz Tully. LTully@campketcha.org
To apply for a position with Ketcha Outdoors please send us:
- Year Round positions please email a resume and cover letter.
- For Summer Camp 2022 Applicants please apply online: https://campketcha.campbrainstaff.com/
- For Summer Camp 2022 Applicants- 3 References. All references must complete our Applicant-Reference-Form. We require 3 references on file – 2 professional and 1 personal reference (not family).
Questions? Candidates, please give us a call at 883-8977/
Do you love working outside? Would you like to use your landscaping, carpentry, handyperson, and/or janitorial skills to support outdoor children’s education? Please consider joining our team!
The Facilities Manager will ensure that Ketcha Outdoors’ programs operate within a safe, clean, and well-maintained environment, both on our 100+ acre outdoor property, as well as within our indoor facilities. This position plays a vital role in providing children and families with a positive Ketcha Outdoors experience. The Facilities Manager is a year-round, full time position based out of our Scarborough location and reports to the Executive Director. Hours will generally fall within Monday-Friday, roughly 7:30-3:30, with some room for flexibility.
Outdoor Grounds Maintenance
- Ensure all outdoor grounds are well-maintained, safe, and highlight the natural beauty of our property
- Supervise general grounds maintenance including landscaping, mowing, painting, and basic snow removal
- Manage the pool and pond upkeep, repairs, and maintenance projects as needed
- Repair playground equipment; ensure high safety standards for all outdoor equipment
- Keep trails and forest play areas safe and well maintained
- Manage animal care schedule and recruit staff for animal care shifts
- Establish and manage an effective composting system; work with camp staff to maximize composting efforts
- Assist with cleaning and maintenance of yurts; build wood stove fires in the yurt classrooms as needed
- Coordinate group volunteer work days in the spring
- Participate in implementation of land stewardship practices
- Assist on a limited basis at the Portland Gear Hub location, as requested
Indoor Facilities Maintenance
- Ensure all indoor facilities are safe and well-maintained; actively work to create a pleasant and safe environment for kids, families, and staff
- Troubleshoot HVAC, plumbing, and electrical problems as needed
- Perform building repair and maintenance; occasionally hire and direct outside service people
- Provide janitorial support as needed
- Keep cleaning supplies, paper products, and other janitorial supplies stocked
- Make semi-regular runs to Goodwill, Re-Store, and the dump to manage our waste stream
- Paint offices, classrooms, and bathrooms as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 2-3 years of experience in outdoor and indoor maintenance, including landscaping, carpentry, and/or repairs experience
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at a time
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a willingness to help where needed
- Basic knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, mechanical, and/or electrical skills
- The ability to operate a tractor, operate a chainsaw, utility vehicle, and a snowblower
- Ability to adapt and grow with the position as the organization changes
- Appreciation for the Ketcha Outdoors mission
Compensation is $43,000 per year and includes excellent health, dental, and vision plans as well as paid vacation, employee discounts and a Simple IRA plan with a 3% match after qualifying for the plan. Additionally, Ketcha Outdoors offers an incredible work environment on our Scarborough property tucked between the seashore and salt marshes of the coast of Maine.
Due to the vulnerable nature of the people we serve we require a significant background check process, fingerprinting and vaccination for COVID and documentation of other vaccinations.
Summer Camp Counselors & Seasonal Staff –HIRING for 2022:
We are looking for Senior Counselors age 18+ and Junior counselors ages 17+ (16+ if they have completed the Camp Ketcha CIT/LIT program or similar type program).
The responsibilities listed are brief statements and are not all-inclusive. Job descriptions and personnel policies will be provided. All staff must have CPR/First Aid Certification by the first day of camp.
Summer camp positions are 35-40+ hours per week. Traditional counselors work Monday through Friday, 8:30 am-4:30 pm. Early-care and Late-care certain weeks may alter this schedule slightly.
Senior Camp Counselors: Work directly with a group of 5-16 campers ages 4-14. Age groups are as follows:
- Cottontails: Ages 4-5, 1:5 camper to staff ratio
- Woodchucks: Ages 6-7, 1:5 camper to staff ratio
- Chipmunks: Ages 8-9, 1:6 camper to staff ratio
- Bobcats: Ages 10-11, 1:8 camper to staff ratio
- Black Bears: Ages 12-14, 1:8 camper to staff ratio
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be at least 18 years of age and hold a valid CPR/First Aid Certification or obtain one prior to the summer. Prior experience preferred.
Junior Counselors: Work directly with a group of 10-16 campers with a Senior Counselor.
QUALIFICATIONS: Must be at least 16 years of age and possess a valid CPR/First Aid Certification (local training available). Prior experience preferred but not necessary.
Head Counselors: Supervise a group of up to 15 counselors, conduct weekly, midsummer, and end of summer evaluations with assigned staff. Fill in for counselors when necessary and assist in daily camp operations. This position is 21+
2022 Specialty/Program Positions
Program Area Positions: Must be 18 years of age or older. Program area counselors lead activities for groups of campers ages 4-14 in one-hour blocks. We are looking for staff who are creative, enthusiastic about their program area, and work great with children. This position runs Monday-Friday 8:30 am-4:30 pm.
- Waterfront Director
- Outdoor Living Skills Counselor
- Environmental Education Counselor
- Drama & Music Counselor
- Sports Counselor
- Ropes Course Counselor (2)
- Arts & Crafts Counselor
- Archery Counselor
- Farm & Garden Counselor
Specialty Camp Counselors: Must be 16 years of age or older. Specialty Camp Counselors work with a group of 10-12 campers with a co-counselor on specialty themed camps such a Pirates, Arts, Animals, World of Water, and more. Must be willing to be enthusiastic about a variety of topics and willing to follow through on lesson plans given to you.
Camp Nurse: The summer camp nurse is responsible for medication storage and administration, basic first aid and health issues that can be dealt with in house, parent communication, and other daily camp operations. Camp nurse needs to have Wilderness First Responder Certification, Emergency Medical Technician Certification, or nursing license.
2022 School Year Staff Openings:
Camp Ketcha operates many programs throughout the school year including after school care, vacation camps, preschool, and a private kindergarten. We are always looking for substitutes for these positions. Currently we also have these positions open:
After School Care and Vacation Camp Counselor: This can be two separate positions or combined into one. We need an after school care staff member from 3:00-6:00 on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Full time hours are available whenever we have a school vacation camp.