Do you love working outside? Would you like to use your landscaping, carpentry, handyperson, and/or janitorial skills to support outdoor children’s education? Please consider joining our team!
The Facilities Manager will ensure that Ketcha Outdoors’ programs operate within a safe, clean, and well-maintained environment, both on our 100+ acre outdoor property, as well as within our indoor facilities. This position plays a vital role in providing children and families with a positive Ketcha Outdoors experience. The Facilities Manager is a year-round, full time position based out of our Scarborough location and reports to the Executive Director. Hours will generally fall within Monday-Friday, roughly 7:30-3:30, with some room for flexibility.
Outdoor Grounds Maintenance
- Ensure all outdoor grounds are well-maintained, safe, and highlight the natural beauty of our property
- Supervise general grounds maintenance including landscaping, mowing, painting, and basic snow removal
- Manage the pool and pond upkeep, repairs, and maintenance projects as needed
- Repair playground equipment; ensure high safety standards for all outdoor equipment
- Keep trails and forest play areas safe and well maintained
- Manage animal care schedule and recruit staff for animal care shifts
- Establish and manage an effective composting system; work with camp staff to maximize composting efforts
- Assist with cleaning and maintenance of yurts; build wood stove fires in the yurt classrooms as needed
- Coordinate group volunteer work days in the spring
- Participate in implementation of land stewardship practices
- Assist on a limited basis at the Portland Gear Hub location, as requested
Indoor Facilities Maintenance
- Ensure all indoor facilities are safe and well-maintained; actively work to create a pleasant and safe environment for kids, families, and staff
- Troubleshoot HVAC, plumbing, and electrical problems as needed
- Perform building repair and maintenance; occasionally hire and direct outside service people
- Provide janitorial support as needed
- Keep cleaning supplies, paper products, and other janitorial supplies stocked
- Make semi-regular runs to Goodwill, Re-Store, and the dump to manage our waste stream
- Paint offices, classrooms, and bathrooms as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 2-3 years of experience in outdoor and indoor maintenance, including landscaping, carpentry, and/or repairs experience
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at a time
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with a willingness to help where needed
- Basic knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, mechanical, and/or electrical skills
- The ability to operate a tractor, operate a chainsaw, utility vehicle, and a snowblower
- Ability to adapt and grow with the position as the organization changes
- Appreciation for the Ketcha Outdoors mission
Compensation is $43,000 per year and includes excellent health, dental, and vision plans as well as paid vacation, employee discounts and a Simple IRA plan with a 3% match after qualifying for the plan. Additionally, Ketcha Outdoors offers an incredible work environment on our Scarborough property tucked between the seashore and salt marshes of the coast of Maine.
Due to the vulnerable nature of the people we serve we require a significant background check process, fingerprinting and vaccination for COVID and documentation of other vaccinations.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Liz Tully at firstname.lastname@example.org.