To provide equitable access to outdoor experiences and gear, promoting well-being, sustainability, and resilient communities.
We envision a Maine community where anyone can enjoy being active outdoors. We believe that access to the outdoors, educational programming, and reliable gear has positive benefits for individuals and communities. We believe that being engaged in nature promotes physical and mental health, builds confidence and resilience, fosters environmental stewardship, and brings diverse communities together.
We value building meaningful connections with our participants to strengthen our community.
We strive to build a diverse outdoor community that welcomes and celebrates Black, Indigenous, People of Color, LGBTQIA+, and individuals of different ages, abilities, religious preferences, and socioeconomic statuses. We value bringing people together in the outdoors to learn skills, promote wellness, and build connections.
We value education that builds understanding, leadership and outdoor skills. We are committed to developing programming that helps young people feel seen, heard and grow into healthy, thriving, resilient adults.
We acknowledge the responsibility that humans have, as part of the natural world, to protect, conserve and advocate for the land and our environment, to sustain our future on our planet. We believe in the importance of connecting with and caring for the environment and encouraging people to become stewards of the world around them. We do this through active conservation of our 107 acre campus and by reducing our own environmental impact, in part by reusing and recycling gear.
We are committed to transparency and accountability and actively work to create an environment that honors our staff’s individual skills, contributions and celebrates their accomplishments.
1. Deliver high quality outdoor education and experiences and continue to expand our program offerings to reach a wider community.
2. Increase organizational sustainability through financial health, engaged governance and improved development capacity.
3. Prioritize and invest in our staff. Attract, develop, and retain exceptional talent.
4. Promote equitable access to enriching outdoor experiences.
5. Invest in and improve our facilities in Scarborough and Portland.