Please consider joining our team of year-round staff! Over the past 15 years, we have tripled our programs and services for the community. We have an ACA accredited summer day camp, Farm and Forest preschool and kindergarten, and after-school and vacation camps. Additionally, we operate 3 locations of the Portland Gear Hub which recycles bikes and outdoor equipment to provide affordable access to adventure and transportation. Ketcha Outdoors is licensed as a mental health agency, child care facility, and summer camp. We have an off-season staff of 40 and a much larger summer staff.
The Accountant will ensure the best possible financial information for the effective management of our programs and operations. We are looking for a tech-savvy and collaborative professional who will upgrade and improve our current systems to increase efficiency and reliability. To start, the position will entail an initial investment of up to 20 hours per week, however once systems are running smoothly, the position should average about 8-12 hours per week. Based out of our Scarborough and Portland Gear Hub locations, hours and days are flexible. However availability during normal business hours is required.
Reports to: Executive Director
- Evaluate current systems and recommend/implement new systems to improve efficiency and accuracy, including both accounting and budgeting software
- Prepare monthly financials for staff and Board
- Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts, payroll tax returns, and inbound revenue accounts
- Make monthly journal entries as need to ensure accurate financials
- Prepare forecasts and projections as needed
- Support the Portland Gear Hub by assisting in their business office tasks.
- Prepare for & work with auditors to retrieve information and answer questions.
- Adhere to the existing internal financial controls and make suggestions for improvement
- Aid in the preparation of the annual budget in partnership with program directors, executive director, and board of directors
- Update fixed asset list as purchases and disposals are made
- Track use of restricted funds using Jobs in QuickBooks
- Take on projects on a case by case basis, depending on availability
Skills and Abilities Required:
- High level accounting skills; a CPA license isn’t required
- Stays current with accounting best practices and accounting software developments
- Excellent interpersonal skills; eager to support colleagues with needed reports, help with questions, and work to ensure all leadership staff have the reports and financial understanding they need
- Strong communication skills; ability to explain complex financial concepts to staff and board
- Detail oriented and tenacity in the discovery, tracking and solving of financial issues
- Willingness to seek/accept consultation on best financial practices in a non-profit setting
- Tech-savvy and comfortable using a variety of applications including Quickbooks Desktop, Quickbooks Online, budgeting software, Google Suite, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office
This is an hourly position starting at $30.00 per hour. This position will also be eligible for a prorated Ketcha Outdoors benefits package which includes excellent health, dental, and vision plans, as well as paid vacation. When criteria are met benefits also include a Simple IRA plan with 100% match of up to a 3% of wages. Reimbursement available for job specific training and classes with the prior approval of the Executive Director.
Due to the vulnerable nature of the people we serve we require a significant background check process, fingerprinting and vaccination for COVID and documentation of other vaccinations.
Please send a cover letter and resume and be prepared to provide three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.